Rules of the Road and Cycling Guidelines
The following are adapted from SC Bicycle Laws - Article 27
1) Bicycles are vehicles and all laws that apply to motorists also apply to cyclists
2) Ride in a bicycle lane, when available, except when passing another cyclist or to avoid obstructions in a bicycle lane.
3) Ride in the right-most lane on roadways, except when making a left turn.
4) Ride no more than two abreast
5) Do not hold onto a moving vehicle
6) Do not carry anything that keeps you from having one hand on the handlebars at all times
7) Use a white headlight and a rear red reflector/blinking light after dark.
8) Always use hand signals before changing lanes and turning
9) Always wear a helmet
1) Obey all stop signs, traffic signals, and lane markings
2) Look before changing lanes
3) If the lane is narrow, "Take the lane" my moving to the center of the lane
4) Be visible and predictable
5) Wear bright or light colored clothing
NOTE: It is unlawful to harass, taunt, or maliciously throw an object at, or in the direction of, any person riding a bike.
For more in-depth explanations of the laws, visit the PCC Bike Laws page